Sunday 6 November 2011

Day 6 - Saturday 5th November

Today was an absolute revelation. I woke up at 6:30am and, despite only having 5 hours sleep, felt great as I made my way to the Javitts Centre in Manhattan for my volunteering shift at the NYC Marathon Expo Center. It was a really fun morning handing out the race numbers to runners from all around the world. I worked with some great people including a really cool girl with a very interesting running blog, and a fellow Brooklyn resident who ran the 2010 NYCM in a very similar time to me. Throughout the whole experience I kept thinking that I couldn't remember having such a productive weekend morning. A thought that made me both happy and sad. It was amazing to feel bright and alert and totally on top of things.

After a couple of hours sleep at home I was ready for my 10 mile run, and this is where the 'revelation' part of my day occurred. In short, this run was ludicrously, almost comically, better than anything I have done previously. I ran 10.7 miles in 1:18:05, for a pace of 7min 17sec /mile. Usually I would consider this a great pace for a 5k run, so to do this for 10 miles is something that I couldn't quite believe. At one point around 7miles in, I was running 6:40 pace and didnt feel like I was putting in any effort. I'm not going to get too carried away as the quality of runs does fluctuate, but it cant be coincidence that this run happened to coincide with a week of sobriety and quality food and sleep.

In the evening I went to a bar to watch some college football. I stuck to diet coke while everyone else drank beer and shots. Again, I was slightly envious, but I was on such a high from the run that I didnt care. I then met some friends back in Brooklyn for a couple of hours. Already I've noticed a pattern emerging in my sober nights out. The first few hours when everyone is relatively sober are fun and I dont really notice that I'm not drinking. After a while the mood will change slightly, people will begin repeating themselves and not really listening, and the night gets less interesting for me. This isnt necessarily a bad thing as I felt like I had a full night tonight yet made it home by midnight. It's terrible that I keep using the phrase 'I cant remember the last time'..but I cant remember the last time I was at home on a Saturday before midnight. I certainly cant remember the last time I stayed in on a Saturday night but I'm sure it must have been at least a year. This has been a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment